Gender Equality Ombudsperson
Pravobraniteljica za ravnopravnost spolova
Preobraženska 4/1 10000 Zagreb Croatia
Gender equality is one of the fundamental values of the constitutional order of the Republic of Croatia. In 2003, upon the proposal of the Croatian Government, the first ombudsperson for gender equality was appointed by the Croatian Parliament in accordance to the Gender Equality Act adopted in 2003 for the first time (Official Gazette 116/03).
In 2008, Croatian Parliament adopted a new Gender Equality Act (Official Gazette 82/08) according to which the Gender Equality Ombudsperson performs the tasks of an independent body in charge of combating discrimination in the field of gender equality.
The responsibilities of the ombusperson for gender equality include:
1. receiving complaints from any natural persons or legal entities regarding discrimination in the area of gender equality;
2. providing assistance to natural and legal persons who filed a complaint of sexual discrimination when instituting legal proceedings;
3. taking steps to investigate individual complaints prior to the legal proceedings;
4. conducting, with the consent of the parties involved, a mediation process with a possibility to reach an out-of court settlement;
5. collecting and analysing statistical data on cases of sexual discrimination;
6. conducting independent surveys concerning discrimination, publishing independent reports and exchanging available information with corresponding European bodies.
The Gender Equality Ombudswoman acts in an independent manner, monitors the enforcement of the Gender Equality Law and other regulations on gender equality and reports to the Croatian Parliament at least once a year.
Intervention in support of a party
|Employment||Gender, Gender Identity, Sexual Orientation, Family Status, Other Grounds|
|Education||Gender, Gender Identity, Sexual Orientation, Family Status, Other Grounds|
|Goods and Services||Gender, Gender Identity, Sexual Orientation, Family Status, Other Grounds|
|Housing||Gender, Gender Identity, Sexual Orientation, Family Status, Other Grounds|
|Social Protection & Healthcare||Gender, Gender Identity, Sexual Orientation, Family Status, Other Grounds|
|Other||Gender, Gender Identity, Sexual Orientation, Family Status, Other Grounds|
Marital status, pregnancy and maternity.
Standalone dedicated national equality body
|Number of cases handled||404||537||426||458||503|
|Number of inquiries|
|Number of litigation cases||2||3||2||3||1|
Single headed equality body (led by director or ombudsman/commissioner)
The office is headed by the head of office (Ombudswoman) and her deputy. It’s having also legal section (5 legal persons employed including head of section) and section for general affairs (2 persons employed including head of section) headed by the heads of these two sections. Yet two colleagues cover media and educational issues related to gender equality.
Ombudsperson and her/his deputy is appointed by the parliament
This institution does not have regional officies.
|Number of staff members working on equality||11||11|
|Operating budget in euros [ACTUAL]||368779||471055||625978||477485||684921|
|Operating budget in euros [ALLOCATED]||378005||677513||1117720||531571||901543||666391|
|Operating budget in euros for the parts of the organisation dealing with equality issues (all types of functions) [ACTUAL]|
|Operating budget in euros for the parts of the organisation dealing with equality issues (all types of functions) [ALLOCATED]|